'Hate' Crime Hoax:Compton Cookout

Todays Los Angeles Times published yet another piece titled Don't Sweat the Buffoons by Gregory Rodriguez. Mr Rodriguez lambastes "contemporary racism" and uses Orwellian language to imply the need for reeducation and thought police. Haven't you heard about the racists at the University of California, San Diego? It seems that they held an incredibly insensitive party based on a "Compton Cookout" theme. Participants dressed in black face and employed racial stereotypes. A white fraternity sponsored the on-campus event. The outrage has been loudly denounced by the Los Angeles Times and a wide range of professors,democrats and tenured,left wing political activists.

One big problem.

The Compton Cookout party was not held on the UCSD campus and was not organized by the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. Rather, it was organized by an African American comedian and non-student named Nipsey Washington, whose stage name is Jiggaboo Jones, to celebrate the release of his new DVD. Jones had held these parties across the country for years, including at UCSD. In fact, he toned down the title from the previous "Nigga Night." This should have been obvious from the beginning. The invitation to the event had a picture of Jones with a T-Shirt with his name on it.

To his great credit, Jones has made an impassioned attack on the politically correct activists on his website that is worth quoting at length, verbatim:

“[S]ome hate mongering black people had told a pack of lies about our event stating that a White Fraternity and several members of the KKK threw a Racist party that made fun of black people. This lie was quickly soaked up by people with some kind of political agenda to spread hate and discontent among people who attend UCSD.

“The divisive few told a ‘Woa is me’ tale of how all blacks at UCSD are almost lynched in trees seemingly everyday. Members of the media ate this up because this type of story sells papers, gets people pissed off and keeps them tuning in. Blog sites went crazy and facebook fascists took their laptops and started the witch hunt that would ruin the reputations of several good hearted people and their families with their inaccurate statements…

“As I jumped in and pulled the curtain back exposing the fact that it was never a racist event and explained the whole mix-up, I was hung up on, called an uncle tom and was accused of getting paid off to ‘Cover for the Racists’…“The Compton Cookout was simply a great chance to knock down the walls of racial division and to get all sides to enjoy poking fun at all elements of racial tension. Some of these groups like The ‘Black Student Union’ and their connected ‘political activists’ won’t allow this progress because it threatens their very existence. They simply can’t have events like this because it undermines their foothold and exposes the fact that they are obsolete and in soon need of being disbanded. These political hacks played to your fears and suspicions instead of letting you all in on the whole story. The really sad part is many of you ran into the streets with ‘Torches & Pitchforks’ without thinking about the fact that maybe someone had been withholding valuable information. This reminds me of something so familiar….”

Jones contacted the university, the media, and politicians explaining that he, rather than the students organized the event, and if they wanted to get upset at someone, it should be him. They all ignored him. Other than the redoubtable former mayor of San Diego and Radio Talk Show Host Roger Hedgecock, no one in the MSM has covered this aspect of the story.

The liberal,managed, Main Stream Media ( MSM) simply would not let this inconvenient fact get in the way of the way of the lynch mob. A recent Google News Search of "Compton Cookout" revealed 1,184 stories. "Compton Cookout" and "Jiggaboo Jones" yields only six, none from major newspapers. 

Speaker-elect of the State Assembly John A. Pérez, Speaker Karen Bass, various members of "Asian Pacific Islander, Black, Latino, LGBT and Women’s caucuses," and a variety of other professional grievance organizations at the State Capital to call for a lynch mob.  Speaker pro Tempore Isadore Hall, III, who represents Compton, demanded that

"university officials should act swiftly to sanction all responsible parties including the revocation of fraternity or sorority charters, the full repayment of any public funds used to support these organizations and the individual suspension or expulsion of any student found responsible for planning or participating in this act of hate."

Left wing professors held teach-ins on racism. But this was not enough for the minority students, who walked out. Eritrean-America Black Student Union vice chairman Fnann Keflezighi explained that the teach-in "would make us quiet." The BSU responded by holding protests with a list of 32 demands that would for all practical purposes put them in charge of the school.

You get the idea.

Miss Keflezighi’s claim that the UCSD administration’s holding special events specifically to address the concerns of Black Student Union was trying to make them “quiet” is especially bizarre given how the school actually treated critics of the whiny minority groups. Thus a campus humor publication called The Koala mocked the complaints on Student Run Television and on its website by pointing out that the UCSD Black Alumni Association was holding a deliberately stereotypical "Kool Aid 'n' Chicken" party in the midst of this controversy. The Koala joked on its website:

"The Koala would like to condemn the organizers of the Compton Cookout. If history has shown us anything, you need more black people at your party to have enough black-on-black violence to actually justify the name Compton.’ Shame on you. SHAME."

The student government responded to this obvious satire by shutting down the entire Student Run TV station, and freezing funds of 33 student groups.

According to USCD student body president Utsav Gupta [Email him],"[w]e will only open [Student Run Television] again when we can be sure that such hateful content can never be aired again on our student funded TV station."[UC San Diego Freezes Funds for 33 Media Groups, Dissolves Student TV, Threatens to Punish Students for Protected Speech, TheFire.org, February 23, 2010]

Wow, those leftists sure do HATE free speech dont they?

Compare this to the response when jihadi murderer Nidal Hasan gave his speech advocating killing Christians and other "infidels"

On March 1, The LA Times editorial "Beyond a ‘Compton Cookout’," began, "Now we know the truth." But The Truth was not that the alleged racist fraternity party was actually hosted by a black comedian, but rather.

"The infamous "Compton Cookout" at UC San Diego, where members of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity invited guests to celebrate Black History Month dressed as their favorite ghetto stereotypes, was not an isolated incident. Nor can it be chalked up to standard-issue frat behavior, in which a degree of misogyny, bigotry and drunken insensitivity is often shrugged off as normal college hijinks."

What are the other incidents that make this incident non-“isolated”?

On February 25, someone hung a noose from in the campus library. The predictable response ensued. Students stormed the offices of Chancellor Marye Anne Fox and held a sit in for six hours. No one was arrested or disciplined. Students at other colleges held similar protests. At UC Berkeley students set trash cans ablaze, broke into a library under renovation where they smashed windows and sprayed graffiti.

Instead of denouncing this lawlessness, the ten Chancellors of the University of California campuses issued a joint statement deploring these "acts of racism, intolerance and incivility."

Bowing to the BSU’s demands, Chancellor Fox created a special "Battle Against Hate" website, stating

"Recently, derogatory, hate- and bias-related events have rocked UC San Diego. Hate in the form of these horrific and repugnant acts has threatened to divide our campus. Racism is not going to happen in our community. The university is committing its resources – legal, moral, ethical, communal and educational – to make positive, necessary changes on our campus. UC San Diego is working with the university’s Black Student Union to address these issues and ensure that our students feel safe, supported and respected so that they can succeed. Please join us in the battle against hate at UC San Diego"

—and that she would address the BSU’s demands.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, who last year signed a bill to make hanging a noose in public a crime punishable with up to a year in jail, called it a "horrific act" of racism.

Of course there is the usual problem: the perpetrator came forward and described herself as "a minority student who sympathizes with the students that have been affected by the recent issues on campus." [See police report, PDF]

Amazingly, this revelation has not stopped the BSU, the media, and other assorted victimologists from decrying the noose as an incident indicative of racism on campus.

Of course no one had suggested that there might be the slightest possibility this latest “hate crime” might not be the work of the imaginary white racists who dominate UCSD.

Given how the administration, media, and politicians bend over backward to address the whining of the Black Student Union and other groups, it’s hard to say exactly how the school is really an inhospitable environment to African Americans. Their real gripe: there are not enough blacks on campus. Of course the politicians and the school administration would love nothing more than to let unqualified minorities on campus. But the people of California, who voted out race preferences, do not agree.

The truth is these left wing minority student “radicals” are not rebels at all. They are on the exact same side of the political, media, and academic establishment.

When confronted by Roger Hedgecock on the fact that the Compton Cookout was organized by an African American, dreadlocked professor of African American Studies Daniel Widener who organized many of the protests and sit-ins responded,

"This is an issue is of campus climate, this is an issue of a campus that has never been more than 2% African American. We're not about incidents. We’re about structurally changing the University...Here at UCSD, we're trying to create a climate where every California child can get the education they deserve…"

When Hedgecock asked, "Do they deserve the public education they earn or do they deserve a public education based on their skin color?"

Widener responded, "I’m not sure I understand the question".

Hedgecock replied: "I didn’t think you would."

Ellison Lodge (email him) who created the majority of this piece works on Capitol Hill.

 

 

What did you think of this article?




Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

  • 3/8/2010 5:03 PM Montana wrote:
    Instead of an apology there has been steady escalation and now the noose. So, what exactly will the excuses be for this cowardly act that brings up memories of the confederate KKK of the South in their attempts to keep slavery and the non-whites in fear? Is it that are uneducated, is it that their parents planted these seeds of hate, is it that they are live in fear because our President in the white house is not 100% white. In my opinion this is what the small portions of the republican party of “birthers, baggers and blowhards” have brought you. These kids are good at “Follow the Leader” of their dullard leaders, they listen to Beck, Hedgecock, Hannity, O’Reilly, Rush and Savage and the rest of the Blowhards, they are young and dumb. Are you surprise at what they do when you know what they think? The world is complicated and most republicans (Hamiliton, Lincoln, Roosevelt) believe that we should use government a little to increase social mobility, now its about dancing around the claim of government is the problem. The sainted Reagan passed the biggest tax increase in American history and as a result federal employment increased, but facts are lost when mired in mysticism and superstition. Although most republicans are trying to distant themselves from this fringe they have a long way to go.
    Reply to this
    1. 3/8/2010 6:20 PM elvisnixon.com wrote:
      Hello and thank you for the comments.

      It seems that you did not actually attempt to even read the post. You appear not to have even read the title.

      The "hate" crime was a hoax.

      It was not a hate crime at all. It was a party thrown by an African American with no affiliation with either UCSD nor PIKE Fraternity.

      Who should apologize and what are they sorry for?

      The liberal media that fans the flames of racial fear and hatred should apologize. The Black Student Union and the intolerant bigot ,Gupta, who shut down the student run station should apologize.

      The article states that the "noose incident" was ALSO a hoax perpetrated by a minority student as an act of "solidarity" with the campus protests at the non event.

      The Black comedian who sponsored the party made all of this clear- why do you ignore him? Are YOU racist?

      The reference to Reagan and Glenn Beck, "Mysticism"(?) etc... is simply a non sequitor. It does not logically follow from the premises that you state


      Reply to this
      1. 10/19/2011 1:03 PM classof2012 wrote:
        Okay, I go to UCSD and I was there when this all went down, and know a lot of the people involved.

        First of all, Jigaboo Jones is just some guy who tried to seize upon the media frenzy to sell stupid products. He had nothing to do with the party. The reason the MSM isn't mentioning him is because his story, on the bullshit meter, is off the charts.

        The party was thrown by members of 3 fraternities, not just Pikes, at an apartment complex frequented by Greek tenants. But it didn't have anything to do with the executive councils of any of the fraternities, so it wasn't in any way official. Just a couple of dudes who thought it would be funny to have a racist party.

        That said, I agree wholeheartedly with most of the rest of your article, the Koala in particular started stirring the pot for shits and giggles and played right into the BSU's hands, and the administration was scared shitless at the prospect of failing to look like a liberal utopia.

        It was actually kinda funny to watch them sit and squirm knowing they can't do squat about it. There was a court case where a University of Wisconsin frat held a clearly racist pledge "slave auction" that confirmed that even blatant racism is protected speech.

        The fallout was kinda funny as well.

        The Koala went back to apply for more funding next year, and since the university, much as it wanted to, couldn't hold them to a different standard than other media organizations, it ended up getting a raise. Now it publishes its issues on good-quality color paper instead of newsprint.

        The BSU ended up getting virtually none of its demands met, as most of them were financially impossible, or a blatant violation of the Constitution, or both. Its leaders aren't the brightest and everyone ended up trying to distance themselves from it.

        The shellshocked administration started throwing money at the diversity bureaucracy, which has walked away flush with cash and new positions from a recession that's fucked over many departments, including- irony of ironies- the Ethnic and Gender Studies departments, which had their funding slashed and were collapsed into a single department.

        So, after all is said and done, the big losers are the administration, students, and taxpayers, and the winners are diversity bureaucrats and the very pranksters who stoked the fire.

        That's how it works in academia.
        Reply to this
  • 3/9/2010 1:15 PM Montana wrote:
    Yes, yes its that liberal media, a standard tiresome response but of course you have not been here.
    Reply to this
    1. 3/9/2010 7:19 PM elvisnixon.com wrote:
      You really should work on your basic reading comprehension.

      The ability to comprehend basic English is fundamental to meaningful participation in a political discussion.

      There was no racist party at UCSD

      There was no Fraternity party.

      A Black man sponsored the party- Did you read HIS response?

      If not WHY not? Are you racist?

      You say "been here"- been where precisely? Montana? What does Montana have to do with UC San Diego? What does geographic proximity have to do with this story?
      Reply to this
  • 7/16/2011 3:14 PM Todd wrote:
    Came to this post as linked to from a city-journal.org article. Good stuff. However, are the final quotes accurate? Weidener "is an issue is an issue", and Hedgecock: "or do they earn deserve". FWIW those look like transcription errors.
    Reply to this
Leave a comment

Submitted comments are subject to moderation before being displayed.

 Name

 Email (will not be published)

 Website

Your comment is 0 characters limited to 3000 characters.